Remaining Optimistic Amidst Uncertainty

Disney Vacation Club Members shouldn’t lose hope for their June vacation just yet! Despite the recent announcements by the Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort limiting new hotel reservations for arrival dates after July 1st, booking and plenty of availability remain open in June for DVC Members.  

Early this morning (Saturday, May 9th at 8:00 am, EST), I decided to jump on the Disney Vacation Club website and see if June booking was still an option, and if so, what was available. The answer: Yes – and you can stay anywhere, as seen by the Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas Studio Value Accommodation that I found for June 1st.  

So what does this mean? 

First, I want to quickly say that I am not writing this article telling Disney Vacation Club Members to jump on and book a June vacation. What I am trying to do, like many of us, is read the tea leaves and begin understanding what Disney is planning and when we may see a phased reopening.   

Availability as of May 9th – 8:00am, EST

The added complexity that Disney Vacation Club adds to this situation should not be understated. It is of my belief that if Walt Disney World or Disneyland opens a DVC Resort, they would not be able to reduce inventory or restrict members from booking due to our legal ownership in the resort. That being said, if capacity requirements are in place, they will need to begin looking at other cash-based reservations with which they have a greater level of control – hence the new resort reservation restrictions pushing bookings to July.

This, coupled with other bits of information, has me putting my bets still on a June reopening. I believe we will still see a phased reopening at Walt Disney World in June, and like other things, what that looks like is becoming clearer and clearer. Just yesterday, I learned from a good friend that the rumors about a delayed EPCOT reopening seem to be true.  

Maybe I’m dreaming and being optimistic because Amy and I have vacation plans in early June. Regardless, until my reservation gets canceled by Disney, my choice is to remain positive and have hope. I tried to find a quote to sum up my thoughts, and while it is a bit of a stretch, Jack Sparrow resonated with me a little this morning:

“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.” — Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)

11 thoughts on “Remaining Optimistic Amidst Uncertainty

  • May 9, 2020 at 10:12 am
    Permalink

    I just cancelled my June 21st reservation. Just not that optimistic about traveling from New York yet. Made plans for an early October. Hope it turns out to be a good news story once we can return home.

  • May 9, 2020 at 11:11 am
    Permalink

    This is an optimistic article; however, booking also remains available throughout May for DVC and we know that those will definitely be cancelled.

  • May 9, 2020 at 1:58 pm
    Permalink

    We cancelled our June DVC, too complicated, prefer more certainty. Rescheduled for November, as far back before our points expire.

    • May 9, 2020 at 8:02 pm
      Permalink

      What about the opening of Vero Beach and Hilton Head? We are scheduled for Vero mid July!

  • May 9, 2020 at 2:09 pm
    Permalink

    I am expecting Disney to cancel our DVC reservation for 5/16. No word yet and we are scheduled to leave next Saturday…..

    I wish they would just tell us already…..

    • May 9, 2020 at 4:10 pm
      Permalink

      Hi! For our May 1 reservation they cancelled it exactly one week out but they didn’t tell me or email me. I just checked my dvc online account and the May 1 reservation was gone and the points were returned to my account. As such, you might just want to keep logging in and checking. Good luck!

    • May 9, 2020 at 10:31 pm
      Permalink

      They cancelled our reservation 6 days before our arrival, I called at the 7 day mark and was told they do their cancellations on Tuesdays

    • May 10, 2020 at 11:30 pm
      Permalink

      You should probably call someone. I’m a travel agent for AAA, and we received notification last week that the week of May 16th is cancelled.

  • May 9, 2020 at 3:10 pm
    Permalink

    We’ve decided to push our next reservation into 2021.

  • May 9, 2020 at 9:11 pm
    Permalink

    I appreciate the encouragement, but they are not opening in June. They’re not even opening the disney store at disney springs when disney springs opens. We’re a little ways off from things coming back online, I’m afraid.

  • May 9, 2020 at 10:58 pm
    Permalink

    I believe Disney is using the springs as a test case, if all goes well and there’s no CV resurgence, I believe HS will open 1st (less people to operate) and not all rides will be operating and masks will be required. No resorts opening yet, to keep crowds low and non Floridians away. By August if no issues and no CV resurgence, open more parks and allow more resorts to open….I think we are looking at September for all resorts and parks to be open at limiting capacity. Lets hope a vaccine is in place before September!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: